Fano, in the province of Pesaro Urbino, is a tourist destination rich in history, art and culture. The city was called Fanum Fortunae by Caesar Augustus in 49 BC. C., from the name of a temple built in honor of the goddess Fortuna, in fact Fano still retains the nickname of "City of Fortune". In addition to a renowned historic center, the city is a seaside area awarded every year with the Green Flag. Its coast is divided into Lido and Saxony, both beaches with low coasts, the first sandy and the second pebbly. Fano is also famous for its culinary culture, an example is the Brodetto, a poor fish soup cooked with preserves and vinegar, and the Moretta, an alcoholic drink based on coffee and citrus fruits.
To be seen
During the Roman Empire, Fano was a point of arrival from the Via Flaminia to the Adriatic coast and traces of this glorious past are still visible within the city: an example is the Arch of Augustus, the gateway to the Roman city, commissioned by the emperor in 9 AD. C., continues towards the still intact walls. In the basement of the city of Fortuna we find the remains of the Augusteum, a palace in honor of the emperor of the same name, built in the first century BC. C. . An alternative method to discover Roman Fano is certainly the Via Flaminia museum, housed in the former church of San Michele, where no artifacts are kept, but it is possible to relive history through various tools for augmented reality. The architectural complex of San Francesco was built in Fano from the mid-13th century, which includes the church and monastery dedicated to the saint; the two buildings, currently located in Piazza XX Settembre, have undergone various modifications and architectural influences over the years, in fact nothing remains of the original convent. The portico of the Church of San Francesco is also occupied by the Malatestian Tombs, moved in the seventeenth century from inside the church, an authentic masterpiece of late Gothic sculpture, the work of the Venetian sculptor Filippo di Dominic. From the same square it is possible to access the Archaeological Museum and Pinacoteca del Palazzo Malatestiano which, since 1898, has housed the civic collections, preserved inside the monumental Palazzo Malatestiano, commissioned by Pandolfo III Malatesta, and built in the first mid 15th century. Inside we find the Archaeological Section, the Ceramics Section and the Numismatics Section, the Sala del Caminetto, the Sala Grande, the two small rooms of the Sala del Lavabo and the so-called Sala Morganti. The museum therefore includes finds ranging from prehistory to contemporary art. A symbol of Fano is also its historic carnival, which was the first in Italy, in fact according to the archives it dates back to 1347 and still remains one of the most famous traditions of the city of Fano, which, for an entire month, is colors and gets intoxicated with a carefree atmosphere characteristic of this party.
Unlike the nearby cities, the year of foundation of Fano is not known, however the presence of a settlement already in the protohistoric age is assumed. The first writing in which Fanum Fortunae appears can be dated to 49 BC. C. during the occupation of Cesare. However Fano reached the height of the Roman occupation when Augustus donated the city walls, elevating it to the status of colony. Above all, it was the terrible destruction caused by the war between the Goths and the Byzantines that brought an end to all life in Fano, which was reborn in the Middle Ages thanks to its connection with Rome and Ravenna, along what was called the "Byzantine corridor". After being occupied for a short time by the Lombards, Fano was included in the territory of the Franks of Charlemagne governed by the Papacy. At the end of the 13th century, the Municipality was governed by a podestà, but the internal strife did not subside, until the affirmation, in the 14th century, of the lordship of the Malatestas, who held the city until 1463. After the end of the Malatesta dynasty in 1463, the local nobility and the population wanted to come under the direct control of the Holy See. The Malatestas left remarkable works in Fano, such as the imposing Fortress, completed in 1452, the Palazzo and the Court, the two arches placed under the portico of the former church of S. Francesco, one of which houses the tomb of Pandolfo III Malatesta . Furthermore, thanks to its port, Fano was one of the major seaports throughout the 15th century. In the same period, one of the most important events in the city was also born: the Carnival, whose presence has been attested since 1450.